Welcome to the Kirkwood Eagles Golf Spotlight Q & A segment of the week.
Student-Athlete Spotlight: Ryan Morrison
Hometown: Ascot, Berkshire UK
High School: Strodes College
Year in School: Sophomore
- Why did you choose to attend Kirkwood?
I have aspirations of playing golf at the highest level possible in college and want to continue to improve my game. Playing college golf was not an option at home, and Kirkwood was a school that would take a chance on an international student-athlete. With Coach Pint's experience with international golfers and his connection with my recruiting agency, it became clear that Kirkwood was a great fit!
- What would you like to complete your major in and why?
I would like to attain a Business degree with an emphasis on Economics. The specifics within economics is very interesting to me. Earning a degree is very important to me but I also see myself staying in golf and playing on tour after college.
- What has been the most difficult and/or rewarding part of being a student-athlete?
Most Difficult: leaving my family when it's time to head back to school. It never really gets any easier, because I know it will be quite some time until the next trip home.
- Obtaining a degree
- Being a part of the Kirkwood team culture. We are all on the same page with goals and directions
- Another rewarding aspect was learning more about myself and my ability to live independently. Doing the day-to-day kind of stuff and feeling confident on my own.
- What do you like most about competing?
100% winning as a team. Growing up I didn't have a high school golf team, so playing on a team has been a great experience.
- What has been your favorite class at Kirkwood? Who has been your favorite instructor and why?
College 101. The practicality of this class made it my favorite. I met many new students/people through class and learned more about them on a deeper level.
Chris McCord, he teaches Basic Reasoning. He made class and learning enjoyable. He's a light-hearted kind of person/instructor and really makes his material applicable, not just boring lectures.
- What is the best thing about your hometown?
It's where all my family and the people that I'm closest to live!
- Do you have any pre-tournament or competition superstitions or rituals?
I don't really have any superstitions, but I do like to keep my routine the same. I putt, chip and hit balls 20 minutes prior to play and then finish up with more putting and "team talk".
- What is the biggest difference from competing as a high school golfer to a college golfer?
The biggest difference is that I didn't play on a team in high school, we played only as individual golfers. Being a part of the team and within a competitive environment as a team has been a great experience and has had a strong impact on me.
- What three people would you want to play a round of golf with and what golf course?
Dad, Granddad, and Roy McIlroy at Augusta National.
- If you could play another sport what would you choose to play?
For sure soccer, or basketball in America.
- Did you have a bucket list prior to this question? If you did what items do you have on your bucket list?
- win the British Open on my home course
- go to Hawaii
- get a photo with Conor McGregor
- One word used to describe you? One word your teammates would use to describe you?
The word I would choose for myself would be methodical, my teammates would use the words determined or dedicated