Welcome to the Kirkwood Eagles Golf Spotlight Q & A segment of the week.
Student-Athlete Spotlight: George Kalpakas
Hometown: Limassol, Cyprus
High School: Apostolos Loukas Lycium
Year in School: Sophomore
- Why did you choose to attend Kirkwood?
- The success of the golf program
- Wanted to be surrounded by other top-notch players/golfers
- To play for a great coach
Through the recruiting process, my marketing agent and Coach Pint made me feel very prepared for making a college choice. Coach Pint had everything clearly mapped out for me, and I was confident with my decision to attend and play for Kirkwood.
- What would you like to complete your major in and why?
I would love to complete my degree in business administration. Anything that has to deal with business catches my attention and interests me more as I take college courses. It also lets me develop a lot of important life skills; communication, accounting, budgeting and so on.
- What has been the most difficult and/or rewarding part of being a student-athlete?
Difficult: The combination of homework and exams while in season. With the hectic schedule of traveling to tournaments or to practice, you have to stay on top of your academics or else your grades will slip away.
Rewarding: The unmeasurable friendships that have been built with my teammates while at Kirkwood.
- What do you like most about competing?
I think competing has always been a big part of my life. Whenever I feel the pressure from competing it pumps me up and takes me to a higher level of confidence, like no other!
- What has been your favorite class at Kirkwood? Who has been your favorite instructor and why?
College 101. The reason I chose this class for my favorite one is that Coach Wagemester taught me so much about life skills, which have had an impact on my first two years of college. My favorite instructor is Chris McCord, the humor of this guy is just amazing. His personality within his lectures and how he applies himself to the material, he keeps learning interesting.
- What is the best thing about your hometown?
In Limassol, the weather is superb all year long and the views are amazing. My home is 5 minutes from the ocean.
- Do you have any pre-tournament or competition superstitions or rituals?
I always tape the middle finger on my right hand and wear a hat.
- What is the biggest difference from competing as a high school golfer to a college golfer?
In Cyprus I had always played as an individual, it was not a team sport at my high school. Moving from that environment to competing as a team is just a dream.
- What three people would you want to play a round of golf with and what golf course?
My dad, my brother, and Tiger Woods at St. Andrews - Old Course, Scotland.
- If you could play another sport what would you choose to play?
I would be a mixed martial arts fighter.
- Did you have a bucket list prior to this question? If you did, what items do you have on your bucket list?
To go back to Australia and to swim with the dolphins.
- One word used to describe you? One word your teammates would use to describe you?
My word for myself is dedicated and the word my teammates use to describe me is persistent.